Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Up up and away!!!

Audie said bye bye to her friends today. We sent away her "fier" (pacifier). After doing some internet research on the best way to wean kids from pacifiers, I decided it was easiest to go cold turkey. (and because I'm too much of a softie and I knew I would give in too much...) I came across a suggestion from someone to "send away" the pacifiers on a helium balloon. This person said that as the balloons were floating away with the pacifiers attached, she told her 2 year old that the pacifiers were going up to the babies in heaven.

I thought this was a cute idea. I don't like fibbing to my kids, so I left off the babies part. But I thought Audie would remember letting go of her balloons and it would be a good way to talk about them being gone.

So that's what we did today. We headed to the store and bought some pink and purple balloons. After bringing them home, we attached the 3 pacifiers that we had and went outside to send them away. I sent the first one to see Audie's reaction. She was fine. Corinne cried. Audie sent away the last 2 and waved good bye.


one last suck.


holding her balloons

"bye bye fier!"


and the results: so far, so good. She asked for her pacifier when I put her down for a nap, but I reminded her that they were up in the sky. She asked for a doll instead and I haven't heard a peep since! Fingers crossed, I hope this is an easy success!!



2 comments:

Trina Ashour said...

How cute!! Love that idea!! Why did Corrine cry though? Was she sad for Audie? I think cold turkey is the best way to go, I bet it will make it a lot easier...

Ken said...

What a wonderful and beautiful way to teach your children how to say good bye....