Thursday, April 17, 2014

Memories, forgiveness, and grapefruits

We returned yesterday from going to my Grandpa's funeral.
Of course we talked a lot about stories and memories...who grandpa was, things he did...

It got me to thinking--what will they say about me when I'm gone?

That's a reality check.

I want to be a better wife; a better mom. I want to be more sacrificial.
I want to be more kind and selfless.

Another thought I had was about forgiveness. No one in life is perfect- there's room for forgiveness, always. Expectations of who someone should be always destroys the relationship. I will always be let down if I have expectations of who (I think) someone should be- and I have to forgive. Always forgive. Because I want others to do the same for me---I am far from perfect. While I strive to be the best I can be, I will still fail miserably. But at the end of my time, I want those left behind to remember my good qualities, and forgive the areas I struggled. 



When visiting my grandma and grandpa during summers or spring break, my grandpa always had grapefruits cut and put in a bowl for breakfast. I love that memory. 
The morning we left to come back home, my uncle John had grapefruits cut and ready to go for breakfast. It got me a little teary eyed! That had to be about the best grapefruit I'd had since grandpa's. Thanks, John!

No comments: