Thursday, January 30, 2014

A Quilt Raffle for Katie!

Here's the thing: Our family quilt stash has become plentiful. We're drowning in quilts. Suffocating ourselves in warmth. I'm really kidding, but we do have plenty. Since sewing/quilting has become one of my hobbies, I don't want to stop- so I had the thought to raffle a quilt to help one of my friends.

Meet Katie VanBuskirk. I met her at NTBI over 10 years ago. When I think of her from school, I think of hearing loud music blasting from her dorm room, loud laughter from her dorm room, and awesome and encouraging notes left on her dorm room door for everyone to read as they walked by. I look at her and I smile. She is one of those people who will always have an unexplainable, special place in my heart.
For over 5 years, she has served the Lord in Papua New Guinea. She has done everything from working in a tribe, to church planning/planting, to literacy and translation work, to maintaining a mission house. Her heart is beautiful- I admire her, and I am so proud of her.


I believe that God leads people on curvy paths! He has never promised that following Him would be a steady one, or, the same journey forever. There are stop signs, detours, U-turns and a lot of other directions! I like the idea that it only adds to our adventure. And for Katie, her adventure is drastically changing as she knows God has asked her to come back to the States and serve at New Tribes Bible Institute in Wisconsin. She will be returning to her home state of Washington in May of this year, and begin serving in Wisconsin in August.
Most of us have probably never sold all of our possessions and moved halfway across the world. So, obviously, most of us have never had to "start new" after living halfway across the world. When Katie comes back, she'll have to gather some things to make living here in the states and her journey appropriate.

So here's what I'd like to do... and here's where all of YOU come in! I want to help Katie and try to raise money to give her a head start on one of her needs: a vehicle. I have made a quilt to "raffle" off in hopes of raising some money to do this!

Here are several photos of the quilt I have made and will give away.





The feathers are made of different fabrics that are 100% cotton.
The beige background is made of cotton/linen blend, and the backing is a soft 100% cotton.



Here's the back.

Here's how you can help...AND have a chance to "win" this quilt! (win win!)
Make a donation using the PayPal button below. I don't have a "suggested donation" amount, but each donation will get an entry into the drawing for the quilt. Entries will be in amounts of a $2 donation. For instance- $10 donation gets 5 entries, $20 donation gets 10 entries, you get the idea.

If you would feel more comfortable giving with cash/check email me here and I will send you my address to make a donation via snail mail.

This will run through February 16th. A winner of the quilt will be chosen by a random drawing and notified of their win that week. I'll deliver the quilt, or ship it anywhere in the US!
Thanks in advance for your help on this. It is appreciated!





“You do not know what tomorrow will bring... and such boasting is arrogance. Instead you ought to say, ‘If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.’” James 2:14-16
Because of gambling restrictions, the law requires to state that a monetary donation is not required to participate in the raffle.

2 comments:

Jacci said...

Hey Jenny! I don't know if you remember me from NTBI, but what a cool thing you are doing for Katie! Anne Wood posted something about it on facebook. Really sweet blog. Did Matt go to new tribes? Dint recognize him.
Jacci (Ellingson)

Lauren Snodgrass said...

Love that you're doing this! My donation has been sent! Beautiful quilt :)