Saturday, August 03, 2013

Earlier this year, when I went to WPPI, I sat in a class taught by photographer Matthew Jordan Smith.. He emphasized how important it is to have a "personal project" when you are a photographer. He explained how the day in, day out, routine of his career is always fun, but it is always an assignment- He is constantly shooting for what his client wants. He told all of us in the class that he recommends to always have a personal project going, and how that keeps your love of photography alive in the midst of "work".

Since then, the idea of starting my own personal project has been on my mind. Something I have always enjoyed is looking at old pictures...from the 1950's, 60's and 70's. I was given a whole bag-full of pictures from my Grandma and Grandpa's ministry in Africa-- pictures of my Grandpa shooting lions, pictures of my mom and her sisters with their dolls, and the like. Pictures I have seen of summer days- moms with their kids on the porch, women smoking cigarettes- all of those pictures make me wish I had been the one that took that picture.
Another aspect that I have thought a lot about is the beauty of a mom...especially the "stay-at-home" mom. Day in and day out of coloring pictures, kissing boo-boo's, reading books, singing songs, making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, hide and seek, pushing swings... all of those things. This is important to me because it is my life every day, and it will be my life for the next several years! While day to day it can seem very mundane, these are the days that are shaping my kids' lives. And I want it captured!

So, this is my personal project. Moms and kids. I hope that I can take pictures of moms and their kids on a regular basis, so the moms (and kids, when they get older!) can treasure these moments. This is real life!

I asked my sister, Leslie, if I could do this with her and her kids. I love most of the images, but there is definitely growing room for me in this category. You can't repeat candid moments, or say, "hold that pose". :) I hope that this is a new area that I can grow in my photography skills. But really, my heart is in being a mom, and I want the beauty of a mom to show in pictures. That is what this "project" is all about for me.

In the future, I probably won't put pics like these on our family blog. But since most of you blog readers are family members, you'll enjoy these pictures of Cameron and Kylie.






I'm not sure if Leslie will appreciate that I put this pic on the blog, but I love this image. Kylie had just gotten in trouble, and the mom pointing the finger is priceless....Love it. Real life.









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love these picture, and I love the idea you have about Mom's and kids! Keep up the good work! Lovepat