Monday, March 19, 2012

Corinne's "new" bike

I feel like I haven't blogged in a long time!
I guess that statement is true, but I have been doing a lot.
I repeat, a lot.
I have had many projects going on, and the spring-time weather has made me quite anxious to finish them up so we can be doing things outside!
Which brings me to my latest project-- getting this bike fixed up for Corinne.
Now, this isn't just any bike. This was my bike when I was little. Believe it or not, this bike survived several garage sales and has been in my parents' garage for the last twenty years.

Well, time for Corinne to upgrade from her little bike to a big girl bike!
So we loaded up the cycle from my parents garage, (cobwebs and all) into the back of our Pilot and brought it home to start working on it.
When will I learn that projects are NEVER as easy as you think, going as smoothly as you'd like?! There is always something else that happens that is unexpected that leads you further into the project abyss.
While I do enjoy transforming and creating new things, I do not enjoy waiting on things to be done. (I am not a patient person...log that away)
What I thought would be a quick clean up of the dust, dirt, and cobwebs, along with changing out the tires, turned into the a fore mentioned, along with new pedals, new rim rubber bands, new chain, a chain tool to put the chain on and covering the bike seat. But I really can't complain too much. I spent less than $50 on the above listed items, and came out with the coolest bike on the block.
Here's the before:
 and the after:
 We gave her a bath, and cleaned up the rust with a steel wool pad.
The pedals were in bad shape, so I put new pedals on as well.
I recovered the seat-- the crocodile vinyl chosen by Corinne herself. 
 and she picked out a pink bike bell
 We slapped some new tires on, along with a new chain, and the bike is ready!

No comments: