Monday, January 09, 2012

Chicken Vindaloo

I came across a recipe for chicken vindaloo in a crock pot. It got good reviews, so I decided to give it a try. I love recipes that you just dump into a crock pot and let it be! This one is one of those, and it's a keeper.
I added some things in making it, and I think it's more (if I remember my Indian food correctly) like a Tikka Masala than Vindaloo. But either way, it has the Indian essence and flavor.


Crock Pot Vindaloo
6 T vinegar
6 garlic cloves, minced
3 T fresh ginger
1 1/2 T Curry powder
1 T cumin
1 t cinnamon
1/2 cardamom
1/2 t ground cloves
2 T mustard powder
3 1/2 T olive oil
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 small onion, sliced
1 jalepeno seeded and chopped
4 small potatoes, cubed
2 pounds chicken breast cut into strips









  • Blend together all of the spices along with the vinegar into the olive oil, and pour into a crock pot. Add the crushed tomato to the mixture and stir to combine. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and add to the crock pot. Turn the chicken to cover with the sauce. Add the onion, and cover with the lid and cook on low for about 4-5 hours, or until the chicken is cooked.

    When the chicken is cooked, turn off the crock pot. Boil the potatoes in water for about 20 minutes, then add them to the crock pot, and stir to cover the potatoes in the sauce.

    Ladle the vindaloo into bowls and sprinkle jalepeno pieces over the top

    Serve with Naan, serves 4.

    notes: this would work well served with rice. just omit the potatoes.

     Since I make this for the girls, I add the jalepeno last, but if I were making it for just Matt and I, I would add a jalepeno, to the crockpot when cooking so the sauce would be spicy, since Indian food is typically very spicy.
    Corinne, however, does like spicy food "if it comes with water"

    This recipe has a lot of spices that you may not already have. There is an Indian spice called Garam Masala that contains Cinnamon, Cardamom, cloves, and other Indian spices. You could probably buy the one spice to avoid buying many of the ones listed above.

     















  • No comments: