Wednesday, January 05, 2011

delimmas


I am in a war every day trying to have self control over what I am eating.
I want the brownie...
I want the second helping...
I want the 9:00pm junk food snack
vs.
eating a banana.
being satisfied with one serving of dinner.
avoiding thinking about being hungry at 9pm.

Don't get me wrong, I love a freshly turned yellow banana. But when it is sitting there right beside the soft pretzel Corinne and I baked the other day (not to mention the melty cheese that has to go with it), you're darn right that I'd rather have the pretzel.

When I go to the grocery store I want to give myself (and my family) plenty of healthy options. Last night I went and I loaded up on apples, grapes, cherries, bananas, and kiwi fruit (which Corinne tried and LOVES, success!).
But I also bought a box of brownie mix. And funfetti cake mix.
Don't judge! You can't argue how pretty that cake looks on the front of that box with all of the sparkly colors in the mix.

Last night I sauteed bananas and served it over a little bit of ice cream. It was just enough sweet to satisfy feeling like I was having dessert, but I felt good that I was getting a serving of fruit at the same time. But still, I am in this constant battle of resisting that cookie, or saying no to that piece of chocolate. After all, I don't need it, I just WANT it.

I really didn't have this problem with sweets until I became pregnant with Corinne. I craved chocolate cake with her and it's been downhill from there. Maybe I should invent some recipes that have a wee bit of chocolate in them to satisfy the sweet, but have a health value. There we go, now we're on to something!

No comments: